Follow Us!

Monday, February 22, 2021

COOK: One Hour French Bread

Over the last 4-5 years I have tried at least 10 French bread recipes, some were total failures, some worked sometimes but not all the time... you get the point.

When I found several recipes for one hour French bread I was very dubious, but I've made this 4 times now and it has turned out perfectly three times,  one time it didn't quite turn out but I've determined it was because KC was making his mom's Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup and I think the kitchen was a bit too humid (humidity is rare in Colorado, so if you live somewhere humid take that into account.)

One Hour French Bread


Ingredients:

2 Cups Warm Water (105 degrees-110 degrees)
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Yeast (Regular Active Dry Yeast, DO NOT use Rapid Rise or Bread Machine Yeast)
2 teaspoons Salt
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
5 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour

Preparation:

In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer add Water, Sugar, and Yeast.  Let proof, or bloom, for about 10 minutes until yeast is frothy.

Add Salt, Canola Oil, and Flour, using the dough hook mix on low setting until combined, then turn up to medium and let continue to kneed until dough is smooth and slightly elastic looking.

Cover bowl with a warm (not hot) damp flour sack towel.  Let rise for 15 minutes, set a timer so it doesn't over-rise.  (if your kitchen is on the cooler side heat your oven to 150 degrees while mixing dough, turn off, place bowl in oven to rise.  I also think this will help if you kitchen is extra humid, however I haven't tested that theory yet.)

Prepare a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicon mat, (I use the Amazon Basics brand and love them, I don't get anything if you buy from this link, just sharing my favorites!)

Punch down dough, split in half, and then form each into a loaf shape, I just gently roll it and then tuck the ends underneath.  I'll try to post a video next time I make it.)

Cut 4-5 slits on top of each loaf.  Turn oven on to 375 degrees, let bread sit by the oven to rise, only let it rise for as long as it takes your oven to heat up.  (About 12 minutes.)

Bake for 23-25 minutes, it should be a golden brown, and if you knock on it it will sound hollow.

I keep ours in the fridge so it lasts longer, although it's usually gone pretty quickly.  



It's great for French Bread Pizza, we add sauce, cheese, and our favorite toppings (pepperoni, jalapenos, olives, etc) and bake it at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

We also like this with the following recipes:


Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment