Follow Us!

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

COOK: Pasta Carbonara

My amazing friend Sarah, who blogs at Cloves & Buttons, has posted about Carbonara so many times I decided I needed to make it!

I looked at several different recipes, then asked Sarah for her "go-to" recipe, then made a "Frankenstein" recipe using what I had on hand, and bits and pieces of each recipe.  I was nervous, I thought I might end up with some sort of scrambled egg pasta, but it was amazing!


Pasta Carbonara


Ingredients:

8 Ounces Bacon (chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
4 Egg Yolks
1 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan
3/4 Cups Heavy Cream (Or Half & Half)
Fresh Cracked Pepper
1 Package (1 Pound) Linguine or Fettuccine Noodles
*Reserve 1 Cup Pasta Water 

Preparation:

Boil water for pasta, salt well, add pasta and let boil.  Drain pasta when it's almost al dente.

Chop bacon into about 1/2 inch pieces, put into a large heavy bottomed pot (I love using my 5.5 quart oval enameled cast iron, but any large pot will work.)  Cook bacon until the edges are just starting to crisp, do not drain.

In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, parmesan, and fresh cracked pepper.

Before draining pasta save 1 cup of the water.  Drain and set noodles aside.

Slowly add pasta water to egg, parmesan mixture while whisking (if you don't keep the whisk moving the water could cook the eggs.)  

Add the egg and cheese mixture to the pot with the bacon, mix until well combined, then add pasta and toss to fully coat.

Serve with more grated parmesan on top, goes great with a simple green salad.

Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment