Follow Us!

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

COOK: Cheddar Potato Pierogies

 I love a good pierogi, and it was always on my list to try to make my own, but I was always afraid they wouldn't turn out.  Last week KC suggested we try to make them, so  I did some research and read a bunch of different recipes, and like I normally do I took a bit from each and gave it a go.  These were so good!  I wish I hadn't waited so long.

While this is a simple recipe, it takes a lot of time, and it makes about 50-60 pierogies, so it's best to do when you don't have other things cooking.  We made about half of the recipe on Thursday night, and then on Friday I put the rest together to freeze. 

I'll add more step-by-step pictures to this post the next time I make them.


Cheddar Potato Pierogies


Ingredients:

Filling
5 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes (Reserve 1 Cup water after boiling)
2.5 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
6 Slices Cooked Bacon (Chopped) Optional
1/2 Cup Milk or Half & Half Optional
Salt and Pepper (To Taste)

Dough
5 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
2 Large Eggs
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Butter (Softened)
1 Cup Water from Boiled Potatoes

Preparation:

Filling
Put whole, unpeeled, potatoes into a large pot with cold water, boil until fork can be easily inserted.  Save 1 cup of the water, then drain, peel, and roughly chop potatoes.  In a large bowl mash potatoes, cheese, and bacon (if using).  (I use my Kitchen Aid to mash and mix, but a bowl with a potato masher works.) If you want the potatoes to be a bit creamier you can add some milk or half & half, but make sure your potatoes stay stiff.)  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.

Dough
In a large bowl mix together your flour and salt.  Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add in eggs and poke the yolks to break them, add the milk and softened butter and mix together using a large fork, until a shaggy dough starts to form.  Add it about half of your reserved potato water and kneed using your hands, after it's incorporated add additional water until the dough forms a ball, and is still slightly sticky.  Wrap in plastic wrap and set in fridge to rest for 20 minutes.

Assembling
Remove dough from fridge and cut into four pieces, re-wrap other dough to keep moist and set aside.  Roll dough out until it is about 1/8 inch thick.  Cut out about 3 inch circles using a biscuit cutter or a juice glass.  

Put about 1 Tablespoon of filling into the center of each round, wet the edge of half of the circle (I just dip my finger into a little bowl of water and rub it on.) then fold over and pinch the edges together until the are completely stuck together.  (I pinch going one direction and then back.  I also found it's better to pinch with the hand that you aren't using for water, otherwise you get a bit sticky!)  

Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Bring a pot of water to boiling, and add pierogies in small batches, once they pop to the top take them out and put on a rack.  Technically you can eat them now, but I like to give them a light fry in a cast iron skillet with butter, I love the nice crunch they get.  You can also add some finely sliced onions and minced garlic to the butter for an extra pop of flavor.

To Freeze
Unless you are feeding an army you will probably have more pierogies than you can eat, but they are so easy to freeze.  After you have assembled but before you have boiled your pierogies lay them on a sheet pan or plate, without touching, and put into the freezer, once they have frozen then you can put them into freezer bags or use a vacuum sealer to proportion them out for use later.  Then you simply just need to let them thaw, then boil them!

Please let me know if you have any questions! 

Follow Us on Social Media:


2 comments:

  1. Totes gonna make some of these...I'm hoping this weekend! Great instructions, and I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like them! This is a great recipe for the kiddos to help with too!

      Delete