Follow Us!

Friday, April 12, 2019

COOK: Chicken Asparagus Pasta with Parmesan Sauce

One of my April goals is to try a new recipe each week, I'm also trying to incorporate veggies into our dinners more often, which is hard because KC isn't a fan of many veggies!

Asparagus has been on sale and it's one of my favorite veggies, and although KC has never tried it I told him I would cut it large enough he could pick it out if he didn't like it.  But in my best mom voice I suggested "he  try at least one bite!"

I looked at quite a few recipes and didn't like any of them, so this is another "Frankenstein" recipe.

The first time I served this it was only KC and I so I made "Small Batch Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks" from I Wash, You Dry.  (I skipped the Parmesan since we already had so much in the pasta and added more on top!)  They were delicious and I will be making them again!

Note: I buy a big jar of minced garlic at the grocery store so I always have it on hand, but fresh garlic can also be used, I'll always try to estimate how many cloves.


Chicken Asparagus Pasta with Parmesan Sauce

Ingredients:

1 Pound Chicken Breast
2/3 Pound Asparagus (cut into about 2 inch pieces)  
NOTE: You can use other veggies, I think broccoli would be good, Dustin had some left overs and suggested Snow Peas.
12 Ounces Penne Pasta (or your favorite shape of pasta)
Zest from 1 Lemon
1 1/2 Tablespoons Garlic Cloves (About 2-4 cloves)
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 Cup Half & Half
1/4 Chicken Broth (you can use water if you don't have any on hand)
4 Ounces Cream Cheese (cubed into small pieces) 
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated, plus more on top after served.)
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Preparation:

Start your pasta water, we want the pasta to be cooked to just al dente about the same time you have finished the chicken and sauce.  Add your asparagus to the boiling pasta for the last 2-3 minutes.  

Cut your chicken breast into bite sized cubes, (mine are usually about 1/2 inch) and put it into a 12 inch pan with tall sides, to start to brown lightly.  (I always use cast iron and rarely have to add oil/butter, but if you are using a frying pan you might want to add some.)

Once your chicken is just cooked and slightly browned add your minced garlic and lemon zest and give it a good stir.  Turn your burner down to low, add in your onion powder and red pepper flakes, mix again.  Slowly pour in your half & half and broth.  Mix well, add in cream cheese, once melted add in Parmesan and continue to mix until incorporated.

Drain pasta and asparagus and add to your pan, mix well, and let sit on low for about 5 minutes, stirring often.

This recipe makes about 4 servings.

Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment