Follow Us!

Thursday, May 30, 2024

COOK: Quick and Easy Frittata

I've been working on eating fewer carbs, and more veggies, and while I love veggies, I was looking for new, or different ways to eat them.  One night laying in bed I was scrolling Pinterest looking for inspiration and saw a post about frittatas, as soon as I got up the next morning I was pulling things out of the fridge to see what I could come up with!   I've had lots of fun playing around with different combinations of veggies, meats, and cheeses, I've decided there really isn't a bad combination.

I think one thing that makes me love frittatas is the ability to throw in different of leftovers you have in the fridge; smoked asparagus, random bits of cheese, chopped up chicken from dinner the night before, herbs you forgot you had...  then simply add eggs.  If you want to take it to another level you can add toppings, pickled red onions, sour cream, everything bagel seasoning, have fun and experiment with different combinations and flavors.

Here are a few of my favorites (so far):

  • Spinach, Tomato, and Feta
  • Red Onion, Bell Pepper, and Cotija (Add salsa to serve)
  • Bacon and Asparagus
  • Broccoli and Cheddar 

Frittatas can be filling on their own, but if you want to have a fancier breakfast or brunch, they can be served with muffins (like my Strawberry Muffins or Sausage Cheddar Muffins), fresh fruit, crunchy tortilla chips and salsa, and of course coffee, tea, or juice.

Below is my recipe using a 10 inch cast iron skillet, but you can easily adjust it for a different size.  Also if you are adding less extras, you might want to add an extra egg or two so that you frittata isn't too thin and burns.  Also note that meats and veggies measurement is after cooking, this applies mostly to things like spinach that shrink to about 1 millionth of their size when cooked.

Quick & Easy Frittata

Serves 4-8

Ingredients:

6 Eggs 
2 Cups of Cooked Meats and/or Veggies 
1 Cup Cheese
Salt & Pepper

Preparation:

Wash and cut any veggies you are using, then quickly sauté in the same cast iron pan you will be using for your  Frittata.  

Turn oven on to broil, and move rack to center position.

Quickly scramble eggs with salt and pepper to taste, then add in cheese and give it a bit of a mix.

With burner on medium/medium low heat pour egg and cheese mixture over veggies and let cook for about 5-10 minutes until you can set that the edges have set.  Move  into over and let it finish under the broiler until the middle is completely cooked and edges are a bit golden.  Carefully (the handles on the cast iron get very hot, trust me!) remove pan from over, let cool only a minute or two, then cut and serve.  

Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for a few days, but I prefer to eat it fresh.

Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment