Follow Us!

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

COOK: Sausage Cheddar Muffins

I had been wanting to try a savory breakfast muffin for quite a while but wasn't sure how they would go over with everyone.  Berea said she wasn't sure about them, but KC was all for anything with sausage and eggs so I decided to try it.  Berea was home when I made them the first time and I asked her to just try a bite, she ate the whole thing and decided she loved them, KC agreed when he had his for breakfast the next day.

These are easy to make, and they freeze well, so I suggest making a double, or triple batch and popping the extras in the freezer, then you can just take out a few for breakfast and pop them in the microwave for about 1 minute and they are just as good as when they first come out of the oven!

I used basic breakfast sausage, but I'm excited to try with spicy sausage, or the sage sausage.  If you like sweet I bet the maple sausage would be yummy too!

As I was writing this I started thinking about the different cheeses or mixtures of cheese I could use, I'll update you on anything I try.

I'm going to try these with whole wheat flour next time, if it works I'll update the recipe.

Sausage Cheddar Muffins


Ingredients:

2 Cups All Purpose Flour 
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder 
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Cup Milk
1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter (melted)
2 Eggs (slightly beaten)
1 Cup Breakfast Sausage (cooked, crumbled, and drained)
1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, grease 12 muffin cups, or use liners. (I prefer to make these in liners, the cheese tends to stick to the sides of the cup, even in a well greased cup.)

As with most muffin recipes it's best to use a bowl and a wooden spoon, if you use a mixer you can over mix them leading to flat and tough muffins.

In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion.  

Add in your milk and melted butter and mix well.  Add your eggs and mix until everything is incorporated, it's okay to have some lumps.  

Fold in the sausage and cheese, until just incorporated.  

Fill muffin cups to about 3/4 full.  Bake for 20-23 minutes, let cool 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and let cool fully on a baking rack.  They can be kept in a plastic container in the fridge for a week, or in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to two months.

Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment