Follow Us!

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

COOK: Fajita/Taco Seasoning Recipe

Let's taco-bout quick and easy dinners, and ways to use the leftovers to create a new and different meal the next day.  Did I lose you all at "taco-bout"?   I know that was corny.   (Although corn is a great addition to a lot of these meals.)

I'll add my basic Fajita Seasoning recipe at the end of this post, (if you only want the recipe scroll to the bottom now.) but first I'd like to talk about some of the different ways you can use the seasoning in different ways, and how to transform the leftovers.

This seasoning is great on ground beef, steak, chicken, shrimp, fish, veggies, and even tofu crumbles!  If your kiddos are anything like mine "Taco Tuesday", on any day of the week, is one of their favorites.  Flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or taco shells, maybe even chips for nachos are the norm.  That said, what happens when everyone is bored of the same thing and you have either leftovers to use up, or want a quick meal?


KC taught me about Taco Grilled Cheese, why I had never thought of this, I don't know, I guess I'm lucky I found him.  This one is simple, butter your bread, put butter side down in your skillet or pan, add a slice of American Cheese, (the only reason I buy the cheese singles is for grilled cheese, or burgers in the summer time), add a bit of warmed up taco meat, top with a bit of grated cheddar cheese, add hot sauce if you want, then top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.  Flip until both sides are toasty and cheese is melted.  If you have some left over Green Chile from your Taco Night you can warm that and use as a dipping sauce.

One of my favorite ways to use up leftover fajita meat and veggies is to cook some pasta and make a quick cheese sauce, (If you are low on time, or energy make some boxed Mac and Cheese!) then add the meat and veggies, mix, top with leftover grated cheese, sour cream, or green chile sauce.  You could also do the same with rice, add in a can of black beans and some corn and you have a real feast!

If you want to get extra fancy you can make Enchiladas, my post with  homemade Enchilada Sauce is here, or you can find my recipe for Baked Chimichangas here.  We also like to make Empanadas, they are easy to freeze, and reheat easily in the microwave for lunches, I'll update the post with my Empanada Dough recipe, but you can also use my Flaky Pie Crust Recipe (omit the sugar) found here.

A few last notes, instead of using water with the Fajita/Taco Seasoning my Father-In-Law uses Pineapple Juice, while KC and Dust hate pineapple they like the flavor it adds.  If you are using the seasoning as a marinade try adding some citrus flavored seltzer to your marinade mix.

Fajita/Taco Seasoning


Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon Cornstarch (omit if using for marinade)
2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (add more if you like spice!)
1/2 teaspoon Cumin

This is enough for about 2 pounds of meat, you can save any leftover seasoning in an airtight container.

You can use this as a dry rub (great for fish), mix it with some oil, lime juice, seltzer, or even just water to make a marinade for your meat, or add it to cooked meat and/or veggies and add about 1/4 Cup liquid per pound of meat and mix and let simmer.

Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment