Follow Us!

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

COOK: Enchiladas Using Homemade Sauce

Happy New Year!

I know, it's already February, but after the holidays and all the fun sickness we had around here I took a bit of a break to get caught up around the house, and build up some new content, so posts should be coming on a more regular-ish basis.

First up, Enchiladas!

I was lucky enough to grow up eating homemade enchiladas.  The sauce is made from scratch.  And they are SO MUCH better than anything I have tried at any restaurant.  I first made them for my dad several years ago and he said they were the best he's ever had, and my dad doesn't give praise without meaning it.  Now if I make enchiladas I always make a pan for him.

 Making enchiladas takes time, it's messy, and it's very helpful if you have a second set of hands, even just to hand you things or move bowls when you need.  Berea is a great helper, and she was amazing taking pictures this time!

A couple notes before the recipe:

DO NOT use chili powder, (like you find in the spice section of your local grocer.) You want to use New Mexico Red Chili Powder, it comes in a cellophane bag in the Latin Foods aisle.


This isn't a quick 30 minute meal, but when you make enchiladas you can make several pans and they freeze wonderfully, and then are a quick meal to just pop in the oven.

I use white onions and I do not cook them, the crunch and flavor is more authentic.  But if you aren't a fan of onion, or don't like semi-crunchy onions feel free to cook them.  Berea always asks for one without onions, and I put less in KC and Dustin's, but I load mine up with all the onions!

You cannot substitute oil or butter for the shortening, it doesn't work. 

You can add cook and seasoned ground beef or chicken when filling as well.  (I put a chicken breast in my food processor and chop it up, if you want more information let me know.)


Enchiladas Using Homemade Sauce


Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons Shortening
3 Tablespoons New Mexico Red Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Flour
2 Cups Cold Water
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Medium White Onion, Chopped
16 Ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar, Shredded
Vegetable or Canola Oil (For tortillas)
About 12-14 Corn Tortillas (I prefer white corn, and I can only find the 6 inch diameter)

Preparation:

Melt shortening over low heat, once melted add in New Mexico red chili powder and flour and immediately whisk together.


Slowly add the cold water, (if you have extra hands have them pour while you whisk).  Keep whisking until the sauce starts to thicken, then add garlic and salt, let simmer until thick.  (Taste and add more salt as needed.)

Once the sauce is thick remove it from heat, if you haven't already shredded your cheese and chopped your onion do so now.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet (I use cast iron for everything.) and then dip the tortillas in until they just start to puff and remove to a paper towel, or a baking rack with paper towels underneath.


In a 9 x 13 pan, (I prefer glass) pour just enough enchilada sauce to cover the bottom.

Here's where it gets messy!!

If you don't have a helper try to get everything as close as possible, I use my hands for all of these steps, but you can use spoons, I just think it's easier to use my hands.  

Dip a tortilla in your sauce, just to quickly coat it, then add cheese, meat (if using), and onions, roll and place in pan.  Repeat going across the pan, and then add to the bottom if there is still room.


When you have filled the pan add more sauce on top, and then top with cheese.


Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly on top.

(If freezing do not bake, wrap in foil, and then when ready to bake let thaw in fridge or on the counter and bake at 350 degrees covered for 10 minutes, uncovered for another 15 minutes.)

Please let me know if you have questions, this is a process, I normally make a triple or quadruple batch, give at least one pan to Dad, and then freeze the rest. 

Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment