Follow Us!

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

COOK: Famous Chicken Chili

I say famous, because that's what the kiddos call it.  My Dad calls it Gourmet.  It's one of the first recipes Berea asked me to put in the cookbook I made her (with lots of blank pages to add more recipes as she asks.)

I made this chili for the first time about 16 years ago, I have changed the recipe several times, but for the last 8 years or so it's been pretty much the same.  The best thing is that it can be made in the crock-pot, or on the stove.

I always make a big pot, because it freezes so well, but you can easily cut the recipe in half if it works better for you.

Note: You have a few options for the chicken.  You can simply cook in in your favorite pan and then chop it up into very small chunks.  Or, you can use my favorite trick: I thaw my chicken breast, then I drop the whole breast (or two depending on their weight) into my Cuisinart Food Processor, and turn it on for about 1.5 minutes.  KC calls it ground chicken, but it's not the same texture as the ground chicken you buy in the store.  This is also my favorite way to prepare chicken for tacos!


Famous Chicken Chili


Ingredients:

4 Cans (15.25 ounces each) Chili Beans
2 Cans (15.25 ounces each) Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 Can (15.25 ounces) Diced Tomatoes
2 Cans (4 ounces each) Diced Green Chile Peppers
1.5 Pounds Chicken Breast (see note above)
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Black Pepper

Preparation:

I usually use my 6.5 quart dutch oven, but you can easily use a large stock pot, or a large crock-pot works well too.  (When done with the crock-pot unplug it--anyone else watch This Is Us?  Too soon?)

If you haven't already cooked and diced your chicken put a little oil into the bottom of your pot (if using a crock-pot cook in a separate pan and then add to the crock-pot.) and add your chicken stirring until cooked through.  Add your cans of beans, tomatoes, and green chile peppers.  Stir until combined.  Add in chopped onion. Stir and let cook until starting to bubble.

Turn down to low, add seasonings.  I don't have specific measurements because I always eyeball it, and some days I'm feeling spicier and add cayenne pepper as well.  I put estimates above in the ingredients, about 30 minutes before I serve it I always taste it and sometimes add more of one thing or another.  Cover and let cook on low.

I like to start it early and let it cook, covered, on low for at least 4 hours, I think it helps all of the flavors to meld, however you could easily cut that time down.  If you are using a crock-pot you can start it in the morning, and let it cook all day on low.

We always serve it with cheese (duh!), and Parmesan Goldfish Crackers.  And, we have to have cinnamon rolls on the side.

Let me know if you make my Famous Chicken Chili, if you make any fun changes, and how you like it!


Follow Us on Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment